Ash's Bookshelf

Ash's Bookshelf

Black Beauty
Pride and Prejudice
Little House in the Big Woods
King of the Wind: The Story of the Godolphin Arabian
Old Yeller
The Luckiest Girl
Where the Red Fern Grows
A Wrinkle in Time
Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret
Good Night, Mr. Tom
War Horse
Dear Mr. Henshaw
Flush
All About Sam
Number the Stars
Absolutely Normal Chaos
The Giver
Walk Two Moons
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Saving Shiloh


adighe17's favorite books »

Friday, March 4, 2011

The Giver - Reflection

Would you want your future to be decided by others ? Why or Why not?
I personally would not want my future to be decided by others. I would like to be able to decide my own future because of a couple reasons.
One reason is that I do not want to have to live my life knowing what will happen to me in the future. I want to be able to go with the flow and every now and then make a choice about what will happen to me. I do not want to have to know what will become of me and know I cannot change anything about that. I think that everyone should have a chance to change the way their lives will be.
Another reason that I do not want to have my future to be decided for me is because when I make any mistakes I will have nothing accomplished nothing. If I have made a bad choice then I think of it as learning from my mistakes, but because in Jonas's case, he had no choices, if he makes a mistake it has nothing to do with him because somebody else has made all the decisions that led up to his mistake.
In Jonas's world one person makes everybody's decisions for them. You cannot control what happens to you. In Jonas's world even families are decided. Your husband/ wife is chosen for you and you can only have one son and one daughter, if you have anything other that this the child will be released or what we call killed. I like the way our world is, where you get to make all the choices you possibly can on your own.
I do not like the idea of being trained for your lifetime job at such a young age, before you have even gotten a chance to have some fun with you life. I think that in Jonas's world, things do not gradually happen, they suddenly do, when you might not be fully prepared for them. Everybody know that when you are eight you must begin you service hours, but nobody prepares you for them when you are seven and three quarters and you dont get to actually begin them when you are eight and two weeks. Everything happens on one day at one time and thats it.
This is my opinion about having your future planned out for you.

1 comment:

  1. Good job Ashka. Your paragraphs were very nice. You said your ideas like you new what you were saying. Keep doing this to every blog post! :D If you don't then they won't be nearly as good!!

    ReplyDelete