Ash's Bookshelf

Ash's Bookshelf

Black Beauty
Pride and Prejudice
Little House in the Big Woods
King of the Wind: The Story of the Godolphin Arabian
Old Yeller
The Luckiest Girl
Where the Red Fern Grows
A Wrinkle in Time
Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret
Good Night, Mr. Tom
War Horse
Dear Mr. Henshaw
Flush
All About Sam
Number the Stars
Absolutely Normal Chaos
The Giver
Walk Two Moons
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Saving Shiloh


adighe17's favorite books »

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Where I Come From



I am from a balance beam
from the chunky dell computers
from the smell of a freshly cleaned hospital.


I come from several flights of stairs
long dark hallways
windows with heavy curtains and grills.


I am from the extra bit of chocolate milk I drank for a year
from the cosy fireplace in the corner of the living room
I am from giant glass windows
and the bright orange rope I used to swing across my pool.


Riding my bike in the pouring rain uphill
sitting in a hot Jacuzzi tub
that’s where I come from too
I come from the not-too-busy beach outside our house in Brazil
the beach where my mum and I went nearly every day.


I come from “Simon Says”
From and Pictionary and Hide n Seek
and Little Bear that would come on TV from Monday to Wednesday


I am from the barbie dolls that I played with, painted and destroyed.
from falling on my butt while skiing
and falling on my butt off a horse
and falling on my butt just casually walking


I come from “break a leg!” and it literally happens
and “do something useful with your life!”
I am from curling up in blankets during a thunderstorm passing notes under the table
and snow cones on hot days


I come from screaming on the Great Wall of China
And from walking on squeaky floorboards.
I even come from the disgusting puke yellow armchair


I am from the blue box locked in my cupboard full of all of these memories that I come from I am from the contents of that locked blue box.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

This is a poem of my identity and I think anybody's identity is worth fighting for. Nobody should be ashamed of who they are and everyone has the right to their identity. Identities are worth fighting for because it's one of the only things that you will always have and your identity defines who you are.

Stereotypes and Traditions often threaten people's identity by setting a different expectation from who they actually are. These types of things challenge them and ask people to become someone they aren't. This is where we have to fight for our identities.

No comments:

Post a Comment