Ash's Bookshelf

Ash's Bookshelf

Black Beauty
Pride and Prejudice
Little House in the Big Woods
King of the Wind: The Story of the Godolphin Arabian
Old Yeller
The Luckiest Girl
Where the Red Fern Grows
A Wrinkle in Time
Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret
Good Night, Mr. Tom
War Horse
Dear Mr. Henshaw
Flush
All About Sam
Number the Stars
Absolutely Normal Chaos
The Giver
Walk Two Moons
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Saving Shiloh


adighe17's favorite books »

Thursday, March 31, 2011

I had to leave because...

Dear Asher,
I’m alive, safe and Gabriel is with me. I’m sure the Giver has told you and the rest of the community that I have fallen into a river and drowned, but that’s just a cover up story for the truth. The truth is that I’ve run away… I’ve gone elsewhere and I’m not coming back. Please don’t try to get me back because I’m just doing my job here. I think I owe you an explanation about why I just left everyone and everything behind and ran away.
First I think you should know more about where you live, in your community. In your community there are no choices for us to make. Your jobs, who you marry, how many children you can have and much more, they are all chosen for us. You can’t see colors, a wonderful and beautiful thing… that you can’t see.
Long ago, way before you were born, before your parents were born and before your parent’s parents were born, our people made a choice, to go into a world of sameness. We made colors, sunshine, rain, snow, happiness, love, pain and everything else go away. None of you have the ability to feel anything at all. You remember the good guy and bad guy game we played before? That’s a game about war. In a war, there is death and pain, death is something that we all know as release. When you lose somebody forever, and never see them again. People are killed.
I want my freedom, I want to be able to make my own choices and I can’t bare to see anybody else do something without understanding what’s actually happening. And when I leave, all the memories I have will be released and your world will soon no longer be a world of sameness. Ask your parents what happened to their parents, of course, they once did have parents. I’m sure they don’t even know where their parents are, they might not even be alive anymore. In the house of old, and in the nursing home, people are killed all the time. That’s why I have taken Gabe with me, he deserves to live like everybody else.
Yours Truly, Jonas
P.S. please don’t let anybody know about this letter, It’s just between you and me.

No comments:

Post a Comment