Ash's Bookshelf

Ash's Bookshelf

Black Beauty
Pride and Prejudice
Little House in the Big Woods
King of the Wind: The Story of the Godolphin Arabian
Old Yeller
The Luckiest Girl
Where the Red Fern Grows
A Wrinkle in Time
Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret
Good Night, Mr. Tom
War Horse
Dear Mr. Henshaw
Flush
All About Sam
Number the Stars
Absolutely Normal Chaos
The Giver
Walk Two Moons
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Saving Shiloh


adighe17's favorite books »

Saturday, May 21, 2011

The Last Blogpost

1. What piece of work and learning are you most proud? Explain.
The piece of work that I am most proud of is the third literature circle I did while reading The Giver. I am really proud of this because for most of the literature circles I didn’t do a very good job, I got NPs (failed!!) on some of them but on this one, I got my first A+ on a literature circle(it was also my only A+ on a literature circle). I feel like I did a great job on this because I also thought about everything and tried much harder for this literature circle instead of starting it the night before it was due.
2. What were your greatest challenges? Explain.
What I found hardest this year was the first month. I had just entered middle school and I was in a class of people that I didn’t really know. I had to organize myself and there was no teacher holding my hand making me walk in a line. I was responsible for making sure that I get things done properly and on time. In the Elementary Campus there was always somebody looking out for me, telling me where to go and what to do but in Middle School the choices are mine. I found this the hardest part of the year because at the time, I wasn’t used to being allowed to do what I wanted to. This was also the best part about the year for me though. In Middle School we get more freedom, and more responsibility; I could only handle the freedom in August, now I think I’m becoming more responsible about myself.
3. Reflecting on your growth this year, what did you learn about yourself as a learner?
This year I have learned a lot about my learning, we did learning profiles and other tests about the way we learn. I found out that I am a very visual learner. Looking at things and listening is how I understand and learn best. I think that what I really need to work on is staying focused because I get easily distracted. I also learn best when I am facing the teacher with my left ear facing more towards the teacher and my left eye looking more towards the teacher. I have learned that when I want to get something done, I can do it. All I need to do now is concentrate.
4. To evaluate your work habits, choose 1 of the following from each category ( and provide explanations):

a) Behavior

Could be improved
Satisfactory
Perfect - the model student

Explanation:
I think that in class I behave very well (I’m not trying to show off) because of a few reasons. I never interrupt the teacher or call out, I quietly listen. Late work isn’t something that I do very often in Humanities, most things this year have been done properly and on time and I never say or do anything impolite to any of my classmates.


b) Participation

None
Satisfactory
Actively participate in class

Explanation:
I think that in Humanities I could participate in discussions and group projects much better than I do now. Whenever there is a discussion going on in class, I never say anything unless the teacher asks me to. I am always listening to the discussion that happen so I think I am participating but I could definitely do more.
c) Organization

Needs serious help
Satisfactory
I'm super organized

I think that I am very organized but I could be better. I know that my locker isn’t anywhere near clean and that I am very forgetful. I check moodle regularly for homework but I think that if I was more organized I would be able to do more.
d) Effort

Needs serious help
Satisfactory
I always go above and beyond what is required.


I think that I put in a great effort to do what I can and often I do a bit more than required to. For example the tic-tac-toe project that I did on Ancient Rome, we sang our song live while most other people had recorded it. For the travel site every day was meant to be a paragraph but instead I did a whole page per day. I also think that I did exceptionally well on the Ancient Civilization Mobile even though I didn’t do much more than expected because we were one of the first groups done and our mobile was clear, readable and had correct information on it.

5. Based upon your reflections, write two personal learning goals for Grade 7 next year.

Goal 1 - In Grade 7, I plan to
In grade 7, one of my goals is to keep my grades (on my report card) above 90%. I want to have good grades because I don’t do very much other than go to school anymore.

Goal 2 - In Grade 7, I plan to
In grade 7, another goal that I have is to participate in all the charity raisers and tag days, spirit week and come to all the plays and other things. I think that more school spirit is something I need.

6.Is there any more information about yourself that you would like the teachers to know?

7. What was your favorite activity lesson in Humanities this year? What did you enjoy about it?
My favourite thing that I did this year in Humanities was the Ancient Egyptian. I liked the Ancient Egyptian song because it was different, I had just written loads and loads for my diary entry and we were still reviewing everything we learned while having fun with a song. I think that next year we can use the song as a test review too, it would be a fun way to remember everything about Ancient Egypt.

8. What activity do you wish we could have spent more time on?
I wish we could have spent more time on the research paper that we did for our portfolios because if this is all we are going to show our parents this year I think that we should have more time to make it the best possible. I think that if we had just a couple more days with this then the Student-Lead Conferences wouldn’t have been so scary at first.

9. Finally, cast your minds back to the first few months of middle school (when you arrived in Grade 6 ) what "Words of Wisdom" or "Advice" could you pass on to the Class of 2018?


Words of Wisdom for Class of 2018:
 Never EVER come to class unprepared.
 Always listen to the teacher, I know it’s not as fun as doodling but what the teachers say are usually very important.
 Hand in your completed homework on time.
 Make sure you organize your things frequently or you’ll have a hard time keeping up with everybody else.
 Don’t be scared to ask questions because if you aren’t sure about something it is important to get the right answer.
 If your grades drop, talk to the teacher and find out how you can get them back up and check powerschool every week.
 Make sure all assignments are written in your planner and check moodle daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment