Ash's Bookshelf

Ash's Bookshelf

Black Beauty
Pride and Prejudice
Little House in the Big Woods
King of the Wind: The Story of the Godolphin Arabian
Old Yeller
The Luckiest Girl
Where the Red Fern Grows
A Wrinkle in Time
Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret
Good Night, Mr. Tom
War Horse
Dear Mr. Henshaw
Flush
All About Sam
Number the Stars
Absolutely Normal Chaos
The Giver
Walk Two Moons
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Saving Shiloh


adighe17's favorite books »

Monday, September 12, 2011

Why Ashka?

My name means “A Blessing” in Sanskrit. In Polish my name means a dummy... I guess I’m sort of both. When my mother found out that she was pregnant with me, she decided she had to find the most perfect name for me. My parents thought of many names; Arianna, Annika… but didn’t think any of these names were perfect enough. My grandmother told my mother that she had been blessed to have a daughter, that’s when my mother thought of my name. A blessing. Ashka.

I like my name sometimes, but I cannot stand it at other times. When my name is written in a dark blue, turquoise, magenta or white, with swirly and twisted handwriting, I love it. I love the way the ‘S’ swirls into the ‘H’ and the way that the ‘H’ loops into the ‘K’, and finally how the ‘K’ swoops down to the ending ‘A’. For some reason though, the first A is just so impossible. The capital A isn’t a fun letter, like ‘Z’ or ‘Q’ or ‘E’ or even ‘R’. A is just a very confused triangle that refuses to cooperate when I’m trying to make a signature. I think my name looks ugly when its typed because the computer doesn’t swirl, twirl, loop and swoop the letters of my name properly.

I like how my name sounds - Its only five letters and two syllables, so it isn’t too difficult to pronounce. Yet, I also hate the way my name sounds. I’m always getting confused for Aishah, Ashika, Aksha and once I was even called Oscar. I don’t like being called somebody that I am not because I am nobody but myself. I wasn’t named for anybody, there is no role model that I am expected to follow. Ashka isn’t a very common name in India or anywhere else in the world, I don’t know any other Ashkas. I like that about my name, it makes me feel unique and special. I am Ashka.

No comments:

Post a Comment